Hot Picks, March 1
Just how much funk is TOO MUCH funk? Three-alarm Funk? Four-Alarm Funk?
Don’t accuse the members of Five-Alarm Funk of being too eclectic – that’s kind of the whole point, as writer Damon Sparks discovered when he chatted with the band.
Five-Alarm Funk plays tonight at Haven Social Club, that little slice of basement music heaven on Stony Plain Road, which is kind of funky in a different way.(Tickets here)
Seriously, how often is it that you get to funk on via a 10-piece band on a Tuesday night in Champtown? (Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door).
If smooth and mellow is more your thing, local jazz guitarist Jim Head is playing at the Yardbird Suite tonight. Don’t know much about birthin’ no jazz men, but he plays a Guild Starfire, which was one of Son Seals‘ favourites, so he’s gotta be good.
Hey, not bad for a Tuesday night in frigidville.
- FUNK ALERT! Alarm set to attack Edmonton with skanktastic beats, riotous horns, disruptive attire (gigcity.ca)
- 2010 Top 10 Albums (craigwilliamjohnson.wordpress.com)
- We are frost together: Bryson, Weakerthans get their Canuck…
Jim Bryson and The Weakerthans
Myer Horowitz Theatre
Tuesday, March 1, 7 …
- GET YOUR GEEK ON! LeVar Burton to ‘make it so’… When the captain ordered “make it so!” it was often …
- Hot Picks, March 3 The trick to a “tragic comedy” is to figure out …